Friday, July 9, 2010

Be nice to women, draw them right.

Hey guys. Recently I've been practicing my realistic style of art by drawing different bodies of women. I'm not talking pin-up, I mean regular women and their different postures, height, weight, things like that. I actually drew a realistic picture of my BFFs and I. I've known them for many years and I've always drawn the three of us Anime-style. This time I decided to draw us how we are in real life. I felt proud of myself and my BFFs liked it! They weren't ashamed that it showed their real selves and their bodies. I even drew myself how I look in real life and I didn't make myself taller. I tried to think of Manga that drew women realistically and I was at a stand still. All I could think about was how manga women are usually drawn, thin with big enormous breasts.
My brother taught me something important. When men draw women like that, how do women feel about themselves? It's demeaning when you think of it. Men draw women in manga how they would like to see women in real life. It can make women feel bad about their body, That they're not that thin or that sexy. I now know for sure that boobs that big on that body means they're fake. The only genre that I can think of that draws girls with moderate size breasts is Shoujo manga, and even then the girls are super skinny. It's like they're afraid of curves. To men out there drawing manga or comics, if you're going to draw boobs, draw them right. Use reference material if you have to, by that I mean anatomy books. Or use art models. Here's one manga that doesn't follow this concept, like so many others.

Manga Review: Kujibiki UNBALANCE

Story by: Kio Shimoku

Art by Koume Keito

I wont badmouth this manga too much cause it's really supposed to be a parody of typical Boy-centered manga. It's about a boy, Chihiro Enamoto with his girl-friend Tokino who has been lucky to win the kujibiki (a lottery) to enter the prestigious Rikkyoin High school. A school that everything is run by the student council and by lottery. In the beginning of the year the school has a lottery to choose the candidates of next year's student council. Chihiro is known for his ridiculous bad luck but then Tokino gets "Vice-president". Chihiro gets "President". Soon he encounters the next secretary of state, a genius mad-scientist named Renko and her android Yamada along with an elementary school girl who accidentally got "treasure". The student council is made up of three girls, A shrine maiden with a samurai sword who's vice president, a thrifty foreigner who's treasure and the hard-ass German born president Ritsuko, who is also Chihiro and Tokino's childhood friend. They all go through wacky adventures trying to train to be the next student council at the risk that if they fail, they'll be expelled. It's actually a funny story. It's a parody of typical Harem manga where the main guy character is surrounded by women. The story also pokes fun at typical character stereotypes, like the beautiful, big boobed and oblivious friend and the crazed sword wielding tsundere (she plays "hard to get"). As for the art, all the girls are supposed to look cute and sexy while defying gravity. Then again the artist did use to draw erotic art. While the story and overall concept is satirical this is one of many examples of how men typically draw women in manga. So I wouldn't use this for anatomy reference if I was you.

No comments:

Post a Comment