Monday, April 26, 2010

On a more serious note...

I'd like to take a break from manga for a sec to write about something that's been on my mind.

For those who don't know, a long time ago I have had problems with my blood sugar, When it was low I'd be spacey and a little...stupid. Around the end of march I had my first fainting episode. All I remembered before I had it was my leg cramping, my heart racing, and my blood pressure was going up and down creating a pulsing sensation in my body and head. I said "I don't feel well" and I closed my eyes. I woke up on the floor a minute later to my sister holding an icepack to my face. Apparently I had passed out and hit the wall with my face (I even left a little bloodstain). The EMT's (or paramedics) took my blood pressure and said it was extremely low, so they gave me oxygen to raise it. I was crying because I was scared to go to the hospital but my sister comforted me and said it would be ok. I went to ER and I had an IV and blood test. Everything was normal. They diagnosed me with a fainting spell. After I had been monitoring my blood sugar by snacking frequently and having occasional glucose tablets as told by my doctor. We thought everything would be ok. Until last Thursday where I fainted again.

I had woke up early because it was my niece's picture day, so we had to get her ready. I went to the bathroom first and was then going to eat but I had to watch her for a sec. Both my legs were cramping and my heart was racing. I was scared. I then felt pulsing in my head and I said "My blood pressure is going up and down" and I closed my eyes and woke up 5 minutes later on the floor to my sister saying I passed out, again. What really shook her up was that my brother was smacking me trying to wake me up and it wasn't working. My arms were huddled up and I was groaning, my lips had turned white and my sister was afraid I stopped breathing. I felt so bad for her. I thought "Ok I'm never gonna scare my sister like that again!", so much for that. This time four police officers came because they thought that a four-year old had passed out. Not a nineteen year old (soon to be twenty). The EMT's took me to the hospital were I was taken to pediatric ER (it goes up until 25). This time I had no IV but I did have my first CT scan of my head. Thankfully nothing was found, but it still didn't explained why this happened again. I had an interesting experience this time, the nurse brought me back from radiology and I asked in a polite, adult-like manner. "Excuse me miss but is it possible for me to go to the bathroom?" She then replied to her fellow nurses "Ms. Kayla wants to go Pee-pee!", I was a bit embarrassed. So I went back home where my family and I were still shooken up. My sister, who had a history of seizures and my brother believe both times that I had fainted, I've was also having a seizure. I was frustrated with my self that this was happening and that now, I couldn't travel or be left alone. Now when I was in middle school I worked hard to gain the privilege of traveling alone to school and in high school I gained the privilege of traveling alone (but not at night, for safety). So I felt like I had a major regression where I couldn't travel or be left alone and I do understand why. I just hope I can get this stuff sorted out before I go into college... So now this week I'm awaiting both my birthday and my neurology appointment. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment